Friday, July 3, 2009

The quilt that may be known as Orange Crush

This is a scrappy quilt that was a mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter on her website. I started out with the group, but then fell way behind. First of all, we made a whole bunch of 4 patches.
Steph 2 was split 4 patches, and I made these when the group was making them. It was last fall, I think. It's made from all scraps from my scrap bin.
Steph 3 I did the beginning of this week. We only had to make forty-something of these.
These are two of the focus fabrics, and it needed 120 half square triangles. Thanks goodness for strip piecing!
The half square triangles and the 4 patches went together to make block 1. Each block took 8 seams to put together, and there's 40 of them. It took all day yesterday to make the 40 blocks, because it got so tedious. Today I have to press and trim them, and decide if the other focus fabric is going to be the orange of orange crush, or if I'm changing the color. At the moment I'm leaning toward yellow, but I have to think about it.
And of course I had to get a picture of Miss Millie! Ralph brought this basket in from the garage, and Mills thought it was for her (which is it, of course).

In a little while I'm taking Mom to Michael's Crafts. Steph has a party to go to today, and one tomorrow, so Toast will come visit me.

Holly

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm working on my Orange Crush quilt, too. I'm finally sewing rows together. Last week, I purchased border fabric. It was fun to see that someone else was working on this project.

Hope that you have a wonderful 4th!