Sunday, January 16, 2011

Long Weekend!

Miss Millie approves of the latest afghan I finished. It's shades of green with cream, so it goes very well with the family room colors, and co-ordinates well with Miss Millie.
We had a snow day on Wednesday! We got about 6 inches, and the roads were a mess Wednesday morning. It was the first, and I hope the last snow day this school year.
It's nice to have an unplanned day off, but we have to make it up in June. We're already up til June 20 before we get out. The problem is, the kids are "done" after Memorial Day. We can hold school, but we can't make them learn!
It's been a while since I've done a quilt on the HQ16. I did this one a couple of months ago. The room formerly known as the living room is now the HQ room. It gets plenty of natural light.
You get it all set up, then it's kind of like drawing. Sewing on a regular sewing machine is like drawing, but moving the paper instead of the pen. With the mid-arms and long-arms, you draw by moving the needle, or "pen". It's a lot of fun when all is going well.
I was doing a meander all over. I have groovy boards and pantos, but I like the look of a meander.
Just loops all over.
This the needle area when there is no quilt loaded. Last year my goal was to quilt all my flimsies (quilt tops that haven't been quilted). The Fates laughed, I got really sick, and didn't do any. Hopefully this year will be better.

Ralph is at Frank and Charlotte's, Mom-sitting while they go out. Mom Florence can't be left alone- she's got residual forgetfulness from the stroke. She's doing much better since she's out of rehab, and she and Sheba are so happy to be reunited!

We're off tomorrow for MLK. I wonder how the man would feel knowing his birthday has become a day off? I wonder if he, along with Lincoln and Washington, would rather the children be in school learning about them? Lou shares MLK's actual birthday, so I always remember Lou's birthday.

I'm reading "Night Vision" by Paul Levine on the Nook. He writes a series about Jake Lassiter, Miami lawyer and former football player. It's an interesting series, mysteries of course.

I have enough soft yarn left for one more baby afghan, so I started that last night. I'm trying to not buy any yarn, except for the fun fur that I need to make a couple more scarves. They go fast, and I like the fuzzy look.

Manda and Ben fly in to NC this week to visit Heather and Ed and Eddie and Julianna. They haven't seen each other since Manda and Ben's wedding, so they have a lot to catch up on. Between talking, the Wii, the trampoline, and the ATV's, they should be busy without ever leaving the property!

Manda had sent me a recipe that I tried last night. Deli turkey, tomato, and a topping made from mayo, yogurt, and shredding cheese, grilled on wheat bread. It was really good, and goes in the keeper file!

And the beat goes on!
Holly

No comments: