Sunday, July 27, 2008

Timeshares

I used to think that anyone who bought a timeshare was nuts. How could they ever use it enough to recoup the awful cost of them? Then my daughter Heather and SIL Ed got a timeshare. They didn't buy it new, it was gifted to them by Ed's parents. And as they figured out how to use it, I started reading and asking questions. Who knew that you could swap your week at Place X and use it for Place Y? (Lots of people knew, I just wasn't one of them!)

So last summer Heather and Ed used one of their stored weeks (you can save weeks!) to get two units at Star Island in Orlando, and I went with them. Fabulous place! Later in the summer they used a week at their home location of the Flagship in Atlantic City. Not so fabulous, but the place is being renovated, and she put in late for it.

I started casually reading the timeshares for sale on ebay. Some wonderful deals, but I didn't feel brave or knowledgeable enough to buy, or even bid. Then in April, a friend of Ed's Mom was ill and wanted to sell off two of her timeshares. Steph and I each bought a week at Shawnee in the Poconos. Getting the transfer is still going on! I had to find a title company, then they had to find a Pa. lawyer to write the new deeds. That was finally done, and we did the signing and notarizing right before July 4. Now it's back to the lawyer for the deed to be recorded. Hopefully, that'll come thru soon!

When that happens, we have to join RCI, which is the week swapping company. Soon as we join, the timeshare lady will deposit 3 back weeks and 2 current weeks into our accounts, and we can make plans to use them!

I've joined http://timeshareforums.com and Timeshares Users Group http://www.tug2.net and I've been reading the bulletin boards on both. On TUG, there are several reviews of Shawnee, and it sounds decent but not fabulous.

So now I'm not only reading all the quilting groups and the mystery groups and the blogs, I've added the two timeshare groups! I have to limit my time on the computer, or I'll never get anything else done!

Things to be happy about:
Playing with Eddie and Julie last night
Toast got a haircut and looks cute and adorable
I made blueberry pancakes this morning and they were terrific!

This weeks goals:
Harass Ralph til the curtains get put back up
Step3 of OC

Holly

No comments: