Friday, July 11, 2008

Sur la Table

I'm so annoyed! I had this great blog entry written, then blogger got goofy and lost it! So much for the annoying autosave, it didn't work!

So anyway. When I was in Houston, Manda and I took a Summer Pies and Tarts class at Sur La Table. Lots of fun, and I put on the eval that they needed a store in south jersey.

When I got back, Steph was on the website, and there is at Sagemore, which is an upscale shopping center about 8 miles from here that I very rarely go to, not being an upscale person. So last night we took a Summer Desserts class.

It was wonderful! We were divided into 3 groups, and each group made one or two dishes. The teacher/chef supervised, and when one group was doing something new or interesting, she'd call us all over to see. Our group made a peach blackberry crumble, which was really good, and rocky road s'mores, which were a little two chocolaty- I'd change the ice cream to vanilla.

Another group made a sour cherry necterine cobbler, which was on the tart side. The third made vanilla ice cream, and honeydew granita.

The granita was so cool! They took a honeydew, and pureed the melon part in a food processor. Strained it, and mixed the juice with some sugar, poured it in a pan and put it in the freezer. After a half hour, they scored it with a fork and put back in the freezer. It was done when it was the consistancy of snow.

Put fresh raspberries and a little chopped mint leaf in a little glass bowl, and spoon some granita over it. Wow! So light and fresh and wonderful!

Steph signed up for a mediterranean meal class, which I won't take because they make a shellfish dish. I signed up for a No Bake Dessert class and a ravioli class, at times when Steph has classes.

And, they give you a coupon for 15% off any purchases that day, and that includes classes that you sign up for! It was a really fun evening. We all got to eat everything made, and all got all the recipes.

Holly

No comments: