Sunday, August 1, 2010

How can it be August?

Miss Millie is so goofy. She decided to lay down on a plastic grocery shopping bag. She also likes to lay in doorways.
Ralph moved his friend. He was trying to get Millie to lay on it's lap, but she wasn't having it. Steph came in the other day and it startled her, so it's not just me.
I just finished the new Nora Roberts book from the library. It's about a girl who has 3 Labs, and heads up a Search and Rescue team on an Island off Seattle. She was the only survivor of a killer, 10 years ago. The book grabbed you right from the beginning and never let you go. I highly recommend it. Nora Roberts is one of my favorite authors.
If you read the label, Vicky's Fabrics is in Hawaii! Manda and Ben brought me back 3 packages of 3 Fat Quarters- do they know me, or what?It was so thoughtful of them. And great news, no one on Ben's team got a layoff notice!

It's August! We have birthdays- Great niece Tori will be 14, and new son in law Ben will be 26. One of the milestones of life is turning 25, because that's how old you have to be to rent a car.

We had a scare when DMIL Florence spent two days in the hospital. Thankfully, everything was negative, and she's fine.

The granny strip afghan is finished- it worked up really fast, and I'm very happy with it. It'll be really warm, because it's really heavy. Last night I started a new afghan, just rows of double crochet, picking up the back loops. It's alternating soft white and a variegated yarn called sand.

I went to Joann's Fabric yesterday. I got another piece of smocked-on-the-top fabric for a sundress for Julianna. This one has the Princesses along the bottom. Gotta love the Princesses! We're going to NC in a few weeks to visit Ed, Heather, Eddie and Julianna. I'm taking my Janome Jem with me. Heather decided she wants to learn to sew, so I'll leave the Jem with her to use. It only weighs 12 pounds, and it's a good travel or learner machine.

I read 12 books in July, mostly from the library. I also borrowed the DVD "Old Dogs" with John Travolta and Robin Williams, from the library. It was mildly amusing, not wonderful. Our governor wants to cut library funding! Has the man ever set foot in a library? Our branch of the county library is always crowded, and any bright person would want to encourage library use, not cut funding. I didn't vote for him and I won't vote for him next election. He's already pissed off the cops, fireman, and teacher's unions, and now the library people. I think he forgets that we're all taxpayers and voters! OK, rant over.

I like living in a smallish town. I went to school with one of the owners of the local grocery store. Two guys bought the auto repair- I went to school with one, and the other has been friends with my brothers since grammar school. They're doing a booming business. And if you hit the grocery store at the wrong time, it can take hours because you see so many people you know. And the guys stocking always ask how my mom is.

And the beat goes on!
Holly

No comments: