Saturday, August 2, 2014

A New Knee!

Wow, the difference two years can make! I got my right knee replaced in June 2012. 3 nights in the hospital, 10 days in rehab. In 2013 my insurance company and the hospital were in negotiations. They finally came to agreement this February, but I wanted to go to the Pacific Northwest before getting my left knee replaced. 

So I went in on Wednesday, July 30. I was the first case. New technique, spinal anesthesia with sedation, rather than general. I got to my room at noon. At 2 pm, PT had me up walking with the walker, and left the walker so the nurses could assist me to the bathroom. I even sat up in the chair.

Thursday, postop day one, PT walked me in the hallway, and we did steps. I was discharged home right after lunch! Friday, home PT came out and had me do exercises, and left me a list. She'll be back three times a week for two weeks. 

I'm getting around well with the walker. I do the exercises, ice the knee, and sleep. Tylenol is so far controlling the pain. It's amazing the changes in procedure!

And now I have to do the exercises again!

Holly

No comments: