Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day- another Hallmark Holiday!

After a week of alternating rain/monsoons and nice days, the humidity is creeping up again. At least there is a nice breeze blowing. 

Last night Steph and I went to Julianna's dance recital. The classes of little kids were adorable, and the older classes were very talented. But it went on too long. Some groups did five or six dances- enough already! We were zoning out by the end, and of course the owner of the dance studio had to thank everyone and their uncle for their help. 

Afterward we went out for pizza, and happened to go to the place where a lot of the dancers and families went. Julianna was thrilled to be able to run around and play with her friends, and Steph and I got to visit with Ed and Heather. Steph and I left around midnight, and the party was still going strong. 

And today is Father's Day. I miss my Dad everyday. Fathers play such an important role in kid's lives- I think a lot of the problems with kids in poor urban areas is that they don't have the positive influence of a father. Unmarried moms do their best, but it's not always enough. 

To go off on a tangent, I really hate the term single mother. What's wrong with widow, divorcee, or unmarried mother? And baby mama is the absolute worst.

When my Dad died, I lost the only person in the whole world who thought I was perfect. Lots of people love me, but they recognize that I have flaws- lots of them. Dad never saw the flaws, he just saw his Punkin. 

Facebook is buzzing with Father's Day wishes this morning. My niece Juliette had the greatest post- she thanked her dad for being the man who taught her that she should be treated like the wonderful person she is. I've only met Juliette's dad a few times, but he must be one fantastic dad. 

My son in law Ed O'Flynn is a fantastic dad. His favorite thing is to spend time with Heather, Eddie and Julianna. My son in law Ben Briles will be a dad next month, when Baby Girl arrives. He will also be a hands on, attentive dad. He already reads to Baby Girl, thru Manda's belly! My nephews Kevin, Jim and Joe are all great dads too! Joe is new at it, since Joey is only almost 5 months old. 

So even tho it's a Hallmark Holiday, Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

No comments: