Sunday, July 7, 2019

An awful time

On June 26 our nephew Joseph Oehrl, named for my late dad, died. 
It was a terrible, accidental death that left us all stunned and heartbroken. A death that leaves our 6 year old great nephew Joey without a dad. 

For the first time, I'm glad that my mom is dead, because this would have killed her. All Joe's other grandmother could do was cry, for days and days. No one should have to bury a grandchild. 

We have so many wonderful memories of this sweet, kind, bright young man. He wasn't a daily part of our lives, and we'd go months without talking to him, but we knew he was there. And now he's not. And as hard as it's hit us, it must be a thousand times worse for my brother and sister in law. I can't even imagine. 

When Joseph was about 14, I took a new dessert to Thanksgiving. While we were at the table, he asked who made that dessert, and I told him I'd made it, my first trifle. He said it was the best thing ever, and I had to make it for him every time I came to their house. I named it Joseph's Trifle, and made it every year thereafter. Everyone knew any leftover trifle was not to be touched except by him. Now, I don't know if I'll ever be able to make it again.

Mike and Donna had Joseph cremated, and his ashes buried with my mom's, and next to my Dad's grave, across from my grandparents. It's perfect. 

There were over 500 people at Joseph's viewing, the most that funeral home has ever seen. His brother Michael started his eulogy with, "Joe was a pain in my ass." Several people spoke, and we laughed and cried at the same time. The consensus was that Joseph drove us all crazy, and we all loved him. 

Life will go on, as it does. Amanda and Amary, and Steph and Dan flew out the morning after the funeral. John left for the long drive back to Florida after the luncheon. And now we all have to go thru life without the light that was Joseph. 
 

No comments: